Polenta is simple coarsely ground whole corn. To give it the creaminess and richness associated with the dish it's usually cooked in broth, and/or finished with butter.
Not in this recipe!
Here, instead of broth, butter and cheese we use Ayala's Magic Spice to give our polenta lovely color, taste and an extra dose of nutritious value.
Plus: this is a relatively low-calorie polenta version.
The water to polenta ratio is 4:1, and you need a tablespoon of Magic Spice for each 2 cups of water. Adjust the recipe according for the number of people you're cooking for.
For the polenta
- 6 cups water
- 3 tablespoons Ayala's Magic Spice
- 1.5 cup polenta
- salt and pepper to taste (start with ½ teaspoon salt)
- Optional: 1-2 tablespoons truffle oil or grated Parmesan cheese (if not vegan)
For the sautéed onions
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- A few tablespoons of water -- as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the mushrooms
- 1 pound mushrooms (shiitake, oyster, or whichever look good in your market today), cleaned and cut into thick slices
- 1 teaspoon agave
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
For the garnish
- Optional: A few sprigs of parsley or chives
- Optional: Sesame seeds
- Optional: Reduced balsamic vinegar drizzle
- Optional: finely grated Parmesan cheese
Plate a serving of the polenta, top with a few spoonfuls of mushrooms, and garnish (optional) with herbs, sesame, reduced balsamic and Parmesan.
If you have leftover polenta, you can transfer it to a baking pan. The polenta will harden as it cools, and it can then be cut into wedges. These slices can be grilled or fried, and make another interesting meal.
In Same Category
- Magic Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Meatless 'Meatballs'
- Magical, Easy Sofrito
- Easy Beet and Tahini Spread
- Chunky Vegetable & Barley Soup
- Falafel with a Healthy Twist
- Magic Cauliflower & Mushroom Tacos
- Glory Bowl Magic Dressing
- Baked Orzo with Eggplant, Celery, Carrots and Cheese
- Golden Cauliflower and Cashew Soup
- Grilled Chicken with Magic Spice Rub
- Transformational Roasted Vegetables
- From the Community: Dennis Fulton's Magic Spice Seitan Loaf
- Magic Roasted Cauliflower
- Magic Spice Chickpeas
Perfectly Magical Vegan Polenta
Topped With Sizzling Mushrooms
- Magic Romesco Sauce
- Best, Easiest Salmon Rub Ever
- Roasted Broccoli, Magically Spiced
- Magic Popcorn
One Pot Magic-Packed Pasta
With Lotsa Veggies
- Kale Chips with Extra Magic
- Black Lentil, Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
- Roasted Potato/Sweet Potato Wedges