There's a reason why some people put ketchup on everything – not that I'm suggesting to do that, I'm definitely not! Condiments, dressings, sauces and salsas elevate a dish, and are often the reason restaurant food has that extra oomph.
Thats why I'm a big fan of making a big batch of essential good, healthy sauces – those that keep for a while – as a head-start for your everyday cooking.
Sofrito's a good one to have. With your sofrito ready you're halfway towards a nice paella for dinner. Warm some up in a pan, add a few eggs, garnish with a few herbs and feta and gourmet shakshuka is served for breakfast. It's the foundation for stews and rice dishes, it can be used to flavor beans, meat, fish and vegetables and it can also be served as a dip.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green, red or orange bell pepper, seeded, and minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 large cans of diced tomatoes, or 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, grated on a box grater
- 2-3 tablespoons Dr. Ayala's Magic Spice
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium pot, heat the oil and saute the onions until translucent and soft, about 10 minutes
- Add the garlic, and the bell pepper, and cook until they soften.
- Add the wine, and allow to the alcohol to evaporate.
- Stir in the tomatoes, the Dr. Ayala's Magic Spice, the rosemary and salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower to a gentle simmer and cook without a lid for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste, and season with more salt if needed, to taste and remove the rosemary sprig.
- Transfer to a jar or tightly sealed container and refrigerate or freeze.
In Same Category
- Magic 10-Minute Farrotto With Roasted Veggies
- Feta and Collard Greens Stuffed Eggplants in Tomato and Red Lentil Sauce
- Deconstructed Tofu Lettuce Wraps with Vegan Green Goddess Dressing
- Magic Vegan Green Goddess Dressing
- Delicious 3-Minutes-3-Ingredients Vegan Broth
- Magical Ginger, Carrot, Sweet Potato and Miso Soup
- Vegan Sheet Pan Dinner
- Magic Roasted Butternut Squash on Toast
- Magic Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Meatless 'Meatballs'
- Magical, Easy Sofrito
- Easy Beet and Tahini Spread
- Chunky Vegetable & Barley Soup
- Falafel with a Healthy Twist
- Magic Cauliflower & Mushroom Tacos
- Glory Bowl Magic Dressing
- Golden Cauliflower and Cashew Soup
- Grilled Chicken with Magic Spice Rub
- Transformational Roasted Vegetables
- From the Community: Dennis Fulton's Magic Spice Seitan Loaf
- Magic Roasted Cauliflower
- Magic Spice Chickpeas
Perfectly Magical Vegan Polenta
Topped With Sizzling Mushrooms
- Magic Romesco Sauce
- Best, Easiest Salmon Rub Ever
- Baked Orzo with Eggplant, Celery, Carrots and Cheese
- Roasted Broccoli, Magically Spiced
- Magic Popcorn
- One Pot Magic-Packed Pasta With Lotsa Veggies
- Kale Chips with Extra Magic
- Black Lentil, Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
- Roasted Potato/Sweet Potato Wedges