Butternut squash is simply delicious and perhaps my favorite of the squash family – that's not to insult the cousins and aunts, I do cook and like them all. When this wonderful sweet, nutty vegetable is roasted with Dr. Ayala's Magic Spice it gets a few more layers of depth. Placing it all on toasted bread isn't just trendy, it's just so comforting, and the crunchiness of the toast is the perfect pairing to the soft butteriness of the squash and cheese. Yum!
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into pieces 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons Dr. Ayala’s Magic Spice (Spicy variety if you like a bit of heat)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 slices of bread
- 1/4-1/2 cup goat cheese
- Chopped parsley or mint for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 400 °F.
- Combine the squash, Dr. Ayala’s Magic Spice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and salt in a bowl and toss well.
- Transfer the squash mixture to a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast, stirring every once in a while, until tender and slightly browned, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- While the squash is baking, in a pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil, add the onions and sauté, stirring frequently, until the onions soften and darken. Add the apple vinegar and maple syrup, stir and reduce until syrupy and broken down, for 15 minutes or so.
- Smash squash and onions together in a bowl with a fork, until combined. Correct seasoning.
- Roast the bread slices in the oven for a few minutes, until slightly crispy.
- Spread the squash-onion mixture, top with the cheese, and return to the oven for a few more minutes.
- Sprinkle with the garnish and serve.
In Same Category
- Magic Roasted Butternut Squash on Toast
- Magic Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Meatless 'Meatballs'
- Magical, Easy Sofrito
- Easy Beet and Tahini Spread
- Chunky Vegetable & Barley Soup
- Falafel with a Healthy Twist
- Magic Cauliflower & Mushroom Tacos
- Glory Bowl Magic Dressing
- Golden Cauliflower and Cashew Soup
- Grilled Chicken with Magic Spice Rub
- Transformational Roasted Vegetables
- From the Community: Dennis Fulton's Magic Spice Seitan Loaf
- Magic Roasted Cauliflower
- Magic Spice Chickpeas
Perfectly Magical Vegan Polenta
Topped With Sizzling Mushrooms
- Magic Romesco Sauce
- Best, Easiest Salmon Rub Ever
- Baked Orzo with Eggplant, Celery, Carrots and Cheese
- Roasted Broccoli, Magically Spiced
- Magic Popcorn
One Pot Magic-Packed Pasta
With Lotsa Veggies
- Kale Chips with Extra Magic
- Black Lentil, Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
- Roasted Potato/Sweet Potato Wedges