Popcorn is not only fun, snackable, and the perfect movie companion, it can also be healthy. When made the right way, from scratch, it is a whole grain, high in fiber, relatively low in calories and fat, and it fills you up in no time.
Supermarket shelves offer many brands of microwavable popcorn, and several shelves of already popped corn, but this a snack you should make by yourself. Here's why:
Most microwavable popcorns contain either hydrogenated oil, or have replaced those with palm oil, which is a highly saturated oil and not great either. Many microwavable popcorns also add butter flavor. They used to add diacetyl, a natural flavor that gave popcorn its butter aroma. Heated diacetyl vapors inflame the small airways in the lungs and scar them. The severe form of the disease is called bronchiolitis obliterates or “popcorn workers’ lung,” which is untreatable and can be fatal. So, microwavable popcorn makers replaced diacetyl with other "butter substitutes", but it's hard to say if those are safe either.
Now that I've persuaded you to take on this project, let me show you how easy this is going to be. You don't need a heavy bottomed pot, you won't have dishes to wash, and this should work the first time you try it.
Because let me tell you a secret: there's nothing special about that microwavable bag of popcorn you buy in the supermarket.
Any paper bag will do. That brown bag that you used to pack your lunch -- it's perfect. So's the one that the grocer packed your veggies in. Any clean paper bag.
A bag, a microwave, Ayala's Magic Spice, a bit of oil or butter, and a touch of salt, and you'll have sophisticated, healthy popcorn in 5 minutes. Get a bowl ready.
- A handful of popcorn
- 1 teaspoon Ayala's Magic Spice
- A few spritzes of olive oil, truffle oil, or a bit of melted butter
- Salt to taste
- Take corn kernels and throw them in a medium size paper lunch bag.
- Fold over the top 3-4 times.
- Put the bag in the microwave for a few minutes. I use popcorn setting, and turn off the microwave as soon as popping slows down significantly.
- In a large bowl, add the rest of the ingredients, mix well and serve.
In Same Category
- Magic 10-Minute Farrotto With Roasted Veggies
- Feta and Collard Greens Stuffed Eggplants in Tomato and Red Lentil Sauce
- Deconstructed Tofu Lettuce Wraps with Vegan Green Goddess Dressing
- Magic Vegan Green Goddess Dressing
- Delicious 3-Minutes-3-Ingredients Vegan Broth
- Magical Ginger, Carrot, Sweet Potato and Miso Soup
- Vegan Sheet Pan Dinner
- Magic Roasted Butternut Squash on Toast
- Magic Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Meatless 'Meatballs'
- Magical, Easy Sofrito
- Easy Beet and Tahini Spread
- Chunky Vegetable & Barley Soup
- Falafel with a Healthy Twist
- Magic Cauliflower & Mushroom Tacos
- Glory Bowl Magic Dressing
- Golden Cauliflower and Cashew Soup
- Grilled Chicken with Magic Spice Rub
- Transformational Roasted Vegetables
- From the Community: Dennis Fulton's Magic Spice Seitan Loaf
- Magic Roasted Cauliflower
- Magic Spice Chickpeas
Perfectly Magical Vegan Polenta
Topped With Sizzling Mushrooms
- Magic Romesco Sauce
- Best, Easiest Salmon Rub Ever
- Baked Orzo with Eggplant, Celery, Carrots and Cheese
- Roasted Broccoli, Magically Spiced
- Magic Popcorn
- One Pot Magic-Packed Pasta With Lotsa Veggies
- Kale Chips with Extra Magic
- Black Lentil, Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
- Roasted Potato/Sweet Potato Wedges