Once you try the black lentils you'll never look back. Black lentils soften quite quickly, but remain intact after cooking, dotting this satisfying, nutritious soup with dark contrasting-colored bits of delicious beauty.
Ayala's Magic Spice gives this soup the depth and savoriness of a bone broth based soup, without all the work, and it's completely vegan.
- 2 sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 carrots, cut into large cubes
- 2-3 sweet potatoes, cut into large cubes
- 4 tablespoons Ayala's Magic Spice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons miso paste (I prefer the white mellow)
- 1 cup washed black lentils
- 2 cups spinach leaves, chopped
- Garnish: fresh dill or cilantro, chopped
- In a large pot, on medium-high heat, sauté the onions in olive oil until soft and golden. Add the carrots, sweet potatoes, Ayala's Magic Spice, salt and pepper, and sauté for about 15 minutes, until sweet potatoes are quite soft. Add a little water if the pot seems too dry.
- Add the water, bring to a boil, simmer until the vegetables are soft but still tender.
- Remove from heat, add the miso paste to the pot, and with an immersion blender process until smooth.
- Wash the lentils in a sieve with plenty of cold water. Add to the pot, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and cook about 20-30 minutes, until the lentils are soft, turn off heat.
- Add the spinach (heat's already off, but the soup is still very hot, so spinach will wilt nicely).
- Taste and correct seasoning.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of herbs and serve with a nice loaf of bread.
In Same Category
- Vegan Sheet Pan Dinner
- Magic Roasted Butternut Squash on Toast
- Magic Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Meatless 'Meatballs'
- Magical, Easy Sofrito
- Easy Beet and Tahini Spread
- Chunky Vegetable & Barley Soup
- Falafel with a Healthy Twist
- Magic Cauliflower & Mushroom Tacos
- Glory Bowl Magic Dressing
- Golden Cauliflower and Cashew Soup
- Grilled Chicken with Magic Spice Rub
- Transformational Roasted Vegetables
- From the Community: Dennis Fulton's Magic Spice Seitan Loaf
- Magic Roasted Cauliflower
- Magic Spice Chickpeas
Perfectly Magical Vegan Polenta
Topped With Sizzling Mushrooms
- Magic Romesco Sauce
- Best, Easiest Salmon Rub Ever
- Baked Orzo with Eggplant, Celery, Carrots and Cheese
- Roasted Broccoli, Magically Spiced
- Magic Popcorn
- One Pot Magic-Packed Pasta With Lotsa Veggies
- Kale Chips with Extra Magic
- Black Lentil, Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
- Roasted Potato/Sweet Potato Wedges